There continues to be significant coverage of Enterprise Zones in the news this week. The Florida News Service reports that on Tuesday, Senator Latvala R-Clearwater attached an amendment to SB1214 that would advance a $7 million-a-year package for improvements at Daytona International Speedway, the Miami Dolphins’ home of Sun Life Stadium and EverBank Field in Jacksonville and for construction of a soccer stadium in Orlando. You can track progress on SB1214 on the Florida Senate’s website: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/1214/?Tab=BillHistory
Newspapers around the state have weighed in over the last few weeks with overwhelming support for the Enterprise Zones program:
- Bradenton Herald: Florida Legislature should renew modest but important enterprise zone program
- WJCT News: Expiration Date Looms For Florida Enterprise Zones
- Tampa Bay Times: Florida lawmakers show little desire to keep a familiar development tool — enterprise zones
- St. Augustine Record: Florida Legislature takes hard line on tax credit programs like Enterprise Zones
- Sun Sentinal: State lawmakers should extend enterprise zone program
- Sarasota Herald Tribune: What if enterprise incentive program goes away?
- TC Palm: State’s incentive program to attract companies to economically deprived areas could be ending
- Naples Daily News: State incentive program to attract business set to expire this year without legislative action
- Miami Herald: Miami-Dade may lose tax incentives for poor neighborhoods
SB1214 is currently pending reference review.